Every time the month of February hits, it is a special time for those in love to celebrate the never ending 28 days of romance. As romantic and sweet as the idea of February 14 sounds, the history is not always that aww-worthy. There are many theories on how this day came to be celebrated as a day of love, amongst which, some appear to be meaningful, while some don't.
1. One legend contends that Valentine was a priest in the third century in Rome, and when Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When his actions were discovered, he was ordered to be put to death.
2. Another story suggests that Valentine may have been killed when attempting to help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons, where they were often beaten and tortured. An imprisoned Valentine is actually believed to have sent the first “valentine” greeting to a young girl who he fell in love with when she visited him during his confinement. It is alleged that, before his death, he wrote her a letter signed, the obvious, “From your valentine”, which led to the abundant use of this expression, even till today.
Bakes and Valentine’s Day
As long as everyone is willing to celebrate it, and now that it is just around the corner, one might just join the wagon and decide on a quaint little gift. Everybody wants to be as unique as possible and gift their significant other something “special”. Manythink that there are limitations to choices in gifts, flowers, chocolates, and even cakes, and wonder how it ispossible to make something different from the usual, but no one really tends to explore the varieties. They say that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Actually, the same could be said for a woman, too, So, covering the vast area of cakes and pastries, let me begin on how baking your significant cake on this Valentine’s Day could be your best decision on a gift yet.
People are keen to offer something better and more extravagant than the year before, or for some, they are just keen to please. Whatever the reasons may be, baking a cake for your loved one is ultimately the best thing to give. Why? If you must ask, cakes, pastries, and cupcakes are believed to signify admiration and affection towards others.
Sweets, biscuits, and savory treats are special presents for any occasion, and one can find plenty of varieties at any of our local bakeries. Cakes come in different shapes and sizes, and different flavors to choose from. You can also top up one with a ready-made box and tie it with a bow to make your boyfriend or girlfriend grin from ear to ear.
But, why not use this Valentine’s Day as an excuse to personalize the good ol’ tradition of giving something sweet? Get yourself into the kitchen and start baking from your heart. Most people are mistaken by the idea that their gifts should be ‘perfect’, but what makes a gift special is if it is made with a lot of handwork, dedication, and of course, love.
• Be creative with your flavors;decide what your partner would love and personalize your cake. Maybe mix up vanilla and chocolate?
• Turn your partner into superheroes, then try to incorporate it into your cake.
• Draw the logo, or even try to draw their faces. Remember, it does not have to be perfect, it should only reflect the amount of thought you have put into it.
Your partner will be more than happy to know that you remember the little things they love, rather than how savory your cake mixture has turned out to be. Creativity is the new key! There are lots of recipes that you can find on sites such as pin-interest or tumblr, and also, many ideas on how you can make your gift even grander.
There are many who give gifts, or do something, just for the sake of doing it, or rather, “just because it’s Valentine’s Day”. Do not let yourself become a follower of this. Do something because it is fun, give something because you want to.
While we are on it, you can also ask your partner to join you in the kitchen to bake something you both love. It will be a great date idea, where both of you can discover new passion for baking. Make it a healthy competition on who can bake the more delicious cake, and treat yourselves by coming up with great winner and loser ideas. This is definitely a win-win situation!
Lastly, whatever you may decide to do, make sure your day is filled with love and nothing else. Make this Valentine’s Day something different from any other day! Happy Valentine’s Day from me to you and yours.